Mam Papaul's King Cake Kit
1 cup warm water
1/2 cup margarine
2 tablespoons melted butter
Mix and knead in bag
1. Place cake mix (large bag) and yeast in large reclosable bag. Lock reclosable bag and shake vigorously.
2. Add 1 cup very warm tap water and 1/2 cup margarine. Lock bag. With fingers outside bag, mix by squeezing and pulling dough until margarine can no longer be seen.
3. Add 1 egg. Press air from bag and lock. With fingers on outside of bag, mix and knead ingredients by squeezing and pulling dough for approximately 12 minutes. Be careful not to puncture bag.
4. Unlock bag. Set bag of dough in a bowl in a warm place for 15 minutes. (see warm place hint below)
Warm Place Hint -- Turn oven on to lowest setting for 2 minutes ONLY. Then turn oven off.
Shape and Rise
1. Place dough on lightly floured surface. Flour rolling pin and roll dough into a 5" x 30" rectangle.
2. Mix 2 tablespoons melted butter and brown sugar praline mix in a small bowl. Add nuts if desired. Spread evenly on dough. From 20: side, roll dough jellyroll fashion. Pinch ends to seal.
3. Place on large cookie sheet. Shape into an oval. Let rise in a warm place (see warm place hint below) approximately 30 minutes or until dough doubles in size.
Bake and Decorate
1. Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes or until nicely browned. Cool.
2. Mix 1 tablespoon water and white glaze mix in a small bowl. Spread over cooled cake. Decorate with Mardi Gras crystals. Place golden baby under cake. Makes 12 servings.